The Ten Commandments of Gun Handling
- Always keep the gun muzzle
pointed away from anything you do
not want to shoot or is not legal to
- Treat all firearms as if they
- Always store or carry the
firearm unloaded with the action
open except when actually hunting or
preparing to shoot.
- Be sure the barrel and action
are clear of obstruction (mud, ice,
plug or wrong ammo). You don’t
want an explosion.
- Confirm your target before you
pull the trigger; shooting a person
will ruin two people’s day.
- Never horseplay with any
- Never climb a fence, tree, or
jump a ditch with a loaded firearm.
- Never shoot at a hard surface or
- Store firearms and ammunition in
- Never use drugs or alcohol
before or during shooting.